View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #42
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: What is the best Magic system to use in a DF campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The system in Incantation Magic is Effect Shaping.
Is it? I haven't read it yet (not exactly, i skimmed it). Somehow I got (slightly) the wrong impression. Interesting.

Quote:
I think you might want to actually play with them first and see how you feel. I ran a long DF campaign with multiple PC parties in the same setting and with a range of foes, quite a few of whom could cast spells like Flesh to Stone or Entombment, and I don't think that any of them ever managed to successfully kill a PC with one.
That's similar to what I've read of other's long-running DF games. The 'save-or-die' spells just never manage to really do much... but the few times they do, it's pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
Do you disagree with this? Do you think save-or-die spells are actually fun?
Personally as a Player? I hate 'em. But then I prefer more Narrativist approaches when I'm a Player...

AS a GM... eh... I run Action so having the BBEG go out in a puff of smoke as the mage unleashes with all their mojo can be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
I suggested that they would be less prepared against spells than against swords and bows (and especially that they wouldn't be prepared to face exactly the player party and fall just short of defeating them) - not that they wouldn't be prepared at all.
Which is why they all wear armor and only a couple of foes 'up armor' versus magic.

Quote:
This is the most obvious solution. The one I want, though, is to balance them.
What I'm asking is for help on this.
Welcome to the forum, this debate has been going since forever and doesn't look like there's a solution in sight.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote