View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
ISNorden

Default Re: [heretical] More Gray Celestial expansions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Unfledged-- Liminal sounds a bit too clinical for me. "Wisp" itself is a pretty good name, or some word that suggests a fleeting thought. "Spark" possibly.
"Wisp" actually isn't a bad choice; it suggests something barely visible and even a little spooky, like the mists of the Ether itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte
Sentinel-- I like my Dwarves better, but this is interesting.
I'd already thought of the Ensemble name and appearance before: "Sentinel" is a culture-neutral description of their duties, and it's not already used for a Choir or Band. (I'm already using "dwarves" for ordinary folkloric ethereals, especially with my Norse focus... :-) ) The human/animal hybrid look was inspired by the Sphinx and similar mythical guardians. All they needed was a distinct Ensemble Attunement...and your comment on Dwarves (as defined by your campaign) suggested that the Sentinels should focus mostly on places. Ethereal Tethers, temples and Domains might have attuned Sentinels nearby--but so could any other place that a power in the Marches valued enough.

Quote:
Dead Elders-- It's likely that killed-by-Purity ones would have had the more martial Words; diplomatic, ideation, and peaceful Worded Superiors wouldn't have gotten caught that way. Some Words that deal with the defense or promulgation of ideas and stories would be nice.
Words like Poetry, Writing, and Inspiration come to mind...possibly also Tradition, History, Ancestors, the Tribe. Do those sound appropriate to you?

Quote:
Legend-- I'd make a Superior of that for sure; if I had to think of a historical figure that embodied your view on the Word, my mind runs very strongly to Snorri, who preserved the Norse corpus (while restamping it with his own views), or looking further back someone like Herodotus or Pliny.
If a human dreamshade somehow gained the Word of Legend (as opposed to factual History)...then Snorri Sturluson would be high on the list of candidates. Pliny would be there too; so would Herod, Hesiod. Ovid and Homer. If the names of the writers who recorded medieval stories of King Arthur or Charlemagne were known, I'd consider them as well.

Of course, if the candidate had to be a Gray Celestial...I'd use the name of some cultural spirit associated with storytelling, presumably because the deity who originally had that name died in the Purity Crusade. Some possibilities: Anansi (West African, though his spider-form matches only two Ensembles that aren't so appropriate)...Taliesin (Celtic, a reincarnated bard)...Calliope (Greek, the Muse of epic poetry)...or Saga (a seer-goddess and Odin's drinking partner; her name is unrelated to the story-word in Old Norse but it's still a decent pun).

Quote:
Malakim counterparts-- possibly call them Valkyries? Or Rocs, if you imagine them as birds, although the original concept of Griffons as seen by the peoples of Greece (metal bladed birds who reflected the light of the sun beyond the endless grassy fields of Eastern Europe) might work as well. They might have the ability to compel people to tell stories (thus protecting the Marches by ensuring that legends are retold), or grant bonuses to people they've inspired with stories.
Roc seems like the best match to their celestial form and fierceness; it certainly has the right mythical feel to it, and the Arab sources didn't associate the huge birds with any particular spirit.

Shengshi would probably feel close ties with the new Ensemble; even though he's a Sentinel himself, the Elder of Survival shows Roc-like tenacity in defending the Marches. Letting them inspire mortals as you suggest is a very appropriate attunement, too. In fact, the Elder of Legend--whether one is alive now or not--might have become the first Gray Roc after the Purity Crusade nearly wiped out the City of Refuge.

Last edited by ISNorden; 10-19-2009 at 01:29 PM.
ISNorden is offline   Reply With Quote