View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Acrobatics

Escape reads "This is the ability to slip out of ropes, handcuffs, s and similar restraints." as per p. B192; I don't see how this is relevant to sneaking around behind/around someone without them knowing, by employing dynamic maneuvering.

Shadowing reads "this is the ability to follow another person through a crowd without being noticed. (In the wilderness, use Tracking and Stealth.)" as per p. B219. I could maybe see using Acrobatics to help with this, but it depends upon how much attention you can afford to draw to yourself from sources other than your direct target (person you are Shadowing).

Then again from the description as well as many works of fiction, it is hard to describe how Character A has followed Character B except as "acrobatic shadowing"; whether hiding in play sight or remaining in Character B's "blind spot", as needed Character A employs a swift, smooth movement... either so swift and smooth it goes unnoticed, or disguised as something a bit more mundane, which might also require Acting or the like to pull off.

Stealth really seems most appropriate; "This is the ability to hide and to move silently." If you're doing this in a crowd, it is shadowing, but if you're one-on-one, its Stealth... because the two skills use different techniques (lowercase "t") and methods based on those two facts: Stealth is about reducing/preventing yourself from making noise or being seen, while Shadowing is obfuscation so that whatever noises or appearances you make don't register... I think. =P

I could see a few ways to handle the almost cartoon-y skulking around in someone's blind spot. Depending on the exact situation, it really should require aspects from all three skills:
  • Making it a Technique that defaults from the lowest of Acrobatics, Shadowing, or Stealth -5, as this is a pretty impressive stunt that even an expert should struggle to pull off: moving dynamically without making a lot of noise or being noticed by both your target and onlookers!
  • A Technique that either defaults from one of Acrobatics, Shadowing, or Stealth but receives a bonus for knowing one or both of the other two. This could represent how the Technique really draws from all three skills, so if you know all three there is less to learn.
  • Multiple rolls because you're using multiple skills; adjust as you see fit whether it is three full, separate checks/contests, or if you can (or must) select one of the three, then roll against the other two to create modifiers (a bit like an Acrobatic Dodge).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote