View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Re: If race and class were tangible social constructs in a setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Okay, Maybe I'm slightly confused here.

Is this meant to be a GURPS topic or a Roleplaying in General topic?

The idea has something possibly interesting for use in a post-Apoc setting.

- Ed
To put it in context I'm working on a setting where society collapses and most of the people who survive and rebuild are either larpers (and paper and dice roleplayers), members of the SCA or metal weapons re-enactors. Each settles in a different region and set up their own society based on their particular hobby. The SCA establishes the greater kingdom of Scadia, a large and wealthy kingdom dominated by pagentry and political intrigue. The metal weapons groups for squabbaling fiefdoms in forrested mountains, mainly based on viking age society (but with two handed swords and some other later period stuff for extra masculinty), who fight with each other and occationally raid Scadia or Larpa Empire. The Larpers form a society built around organising people by what they do and they creating heirarchies based on how well they do it, essencially a type of fiercy heirarchical meritocracy. Scadia and the metal fiefs are fairly easy to work out but how the Larpa Empire structures itself is a little more complex. I'm liking the idea that one's level as a farmer or artisan dictates how much they are paid/can charge for their goods. Likewise it would impact how much say one gets in decision making, since no one is going to listen to a level 2 farmer about land management but a level 20 farmer will be able to dictate policy for an entire region.

Also I can't come up with a name for the lands controlled by the metal weapons groups.