View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Seeking build advice: Modern conspiracy character creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
Weight isn't going to be an issue; cost still is.
The costs of handwritten tomes intended for high value dungeon loot isn't sensible for contemporary books. You can get an annotated Map for free from Google, but in DF it costs a minimum of $100 (and getting the weight from a tenth of a pound to negligible makes it $1500).

Using the Very Fine modifier but ignoring the weight increase, as you did, seems to be especially dubious because the double weight it is a significant drawback for scholars.

Quote:
Most medical textbooks are now available in e-versions.
Web-MD or even Wikipedia are probably better than a psuedomedieval primer, and free.
Quote:
do you have any thoughts on using it in-game
Well, I have played scholars so I have some experience in using it. The main limitation is the incredible expense and weight of the books. A DF scholar often needs to leave part of his library in town and might want to buy a mule or hire a porter as soon as possible anyway. In a world of instant cheap information and public libraries, this is going to be a significantly more useful ability.

Which isn't to say "don't take it", but note that it is a superpower (if the Foundation does turn out to exist, I would suggest trying to make contact with the Serpent's Hand before the Foundation finds you; also Library Card!) and you might want to make it a significant focus of your character (it could be a lot like a gimmick ability on one of those extraordinary detective shows).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-03-2017 at 01:58 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote