View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Youth is a weird prerequisite for Steal Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
P

I'd probably put a skill or training requirement of some kind, so spectators who want to help with the spell need to do more than wave a candle around and chant a little. Either make it skill-based .
My chosen "fix" would be to make it a requirement of a pt in Religious Ritual (usually). The spectators wouldn't need Skill-12 but the ritual leader would need that and Leadership.

So if you turn up needing one of those expensive Healing Spells like Instant Restoration or Instant Regeneration you get told "Ah, you'll need to go see the fellers down at the White Temple.". So you go and give them a "donation" and you get fixed up but also have a reason to generally stay on their good side in the future. They're gnerally popular in town to abecase when the Plague comes they can throw a _lot_ of Cure Disease Spells.

The "White" priesthood might not make quite as much money as conventional Mages-for-hire but they gain compensating social benefits. the rural equivalnt of the "White" priesthood is a generic "Green" priesthood that apecializes in those mass Plant College spells that revolutionize fantasy agriculture. For "white" or "green" substitute names of "gods" (or perhaps saints) that strike you as good or appropriate.

A Ritual(Hermetic) specialization would be theoretically possible but not so likely in my view. If you've got enough magical activity (such as a major Magical University) to create a market for mass ceremonial castings those might fill up with minor Mages (Magery 0 or low experience students).