View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #516
tbeard1999

Default Re: Hand To Hand combat - Rick's Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Everyone, Ty.
Not subdual damage? Subdual damage is hitting with the flat of your blade to stun someone. The weapon does half damage, but you can't kill them (unless you roll a double or triple damage). The purpose is to knock people out.

Recovering from a bad beating in (say) 3 hours seems pretty fast.

In my campaign, subdual damage recovers four times faster than normal damage, and subdual damage recovers first.

Warm regards, Rick.
Well, remember that this is an explicitly cinematic system. Also, I failed to mention that I ran a lot of city adventures. So barroom brawls were much more common than one might expect. Stun worked okay; all you had to do was throw some water on someone’s face and they woke up and recovered most of their points. Hey, it worked in the movies...

That said, subdual damage would be a perfectly good substitute.

The main goal was to enable bar fights to actually be fun and interesting in TFT. As noted, armor and the low amount of bare handed damage made such fights boring. By bumping the damage up and eliminating armor, fights could be resolved with ~3-4 solid punches.

This also allowed the occasional “lets settle this like men” duels that didn’t use weapons.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote