View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #15
Icelander

Default Re: Cutting-Edge Armor Design at TL10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
on 2:
If you want the thing to work as you describe then you just have to tweak the values as you see fit.

The "realistic" Arachnoweave is just slightly better than STF Liquid Armor in protection/weight unit and thickness, but much more expensive and is flexible when thin.

One way to get better Arachnoweave could be to postulate that you have TL 11 Arachnoweave available due to the TL 11 biotech level of THS. But maybe at the same time limit it to say 1/8 inch with thicker layers becoming rigid and cumbersome(-1 DX/extra 1/8 inch layer) or something...
The article specifically says that TL10 Arachonoweave, which is outside the scope of the article's coverage, would be more effective than TL9 Arachnoweave.

So I'd like to stat that Arachnoweave. What would best fit the material I am looking for is dropping the Weight to 2/3 of the Weight of the TL9 Arachnoweave and then declaring that Arachnoweave can take memswear modification without extra weight.

This makes it extremely desirable for clothing that is not supposed to look like armour, but the relatively low DR (for TL10) means that it won't be used in many tactical suits.

I was thinking that merely reducing WM might not justify raising the price up to full TL9 price. Say $500, to fit the THS price of an Arachnoweave vest.

Quote:
on 4:
If you have climate control systems available then you eliminate the biggest problem: those materials do not breathe.

I wore a protective vest daily in the late 1980s and after a short time you do not really notice the extra weight(about 2.7kg in my case) and thickness(11mm). But on hot days it got sweaty due to the material not breathing.

Yes there is a difference between materials, but most likely anything thick enough to protect would not breathe as well as thinner materials.
Memswear modifications is pretty much smart fitting clothes that breathe as well as any clothes can breathe. I do not know, however, how realistic that is with ballistic fabric. On one hand, the kind of technology that is described for 'reflex' armour seems like it might breathe pretty well in the right configuration. On the other hand, loose weave breathening clothing seems like a contradictory design constraint on protective suits.

The primary choices that PCs and major NPCs have will be TL9 Arachnoweave, TL10 Advanced Arachnoweave, TL9 Basic Nanoweave ('Carbonweave') and TL10 Nanoweave.

It would be in line with THS source material if it was easier to get light Arachnoweave either with built-in memswear climate control or layered with cloth that had it, but I don't know how plausible that is. Surely, if that's possible, the technology exists for Nanoweave as well.

Quote:
on 5:
Realistically most of such would likely be on the coverings and fastenings. Basically today any armor will have a "cloth cover" as it is easier to sew the cloth that the actual armor panels. In future some armors might be made without such I guess, but I would not bet on it, given that the relative difficulty would not change. So I would just assume that you can add such without extra weight.
That seems generous.

Last edited by Icelander; 08-18-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote