View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #36
ThisisDog

Default Re: Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstringer View Post
Will there still be regular munchkin expansions be released?

if not this is very sad.

if yes , then i will keep buying those. tcg model is very old and surpassed by living card games and models like magewars or what munchkin used to have..

tcg in general offer little enjoyment compared to the money you have spent for them . i was playing magic for years and stopped so i dont think i will picking a munchkin one.

drafts are nice for that one time, but then most of the cards are junk/not really used.

i wouldnt start a new tcg at all at this time, you have to be very brave to dive into this model, or stupid , or a little bit of both !(both as a producer and a player)
I don't think the scene is as dead as you think it is. My FLGS regularly hosts Yugioh and MTG tournaments and events and they are always packed out. CCGs are not just a game, they are an addiction and there will always be people who don't mind sinking the cash in for the chance of reward.

It's not just the gaming too, like Mister Ed said, part of the thrill is collecting and arranging the cards into binders. I've stayed away from collectable games for a long time, but when I was young I had a huge obsession with POGs. I collected them, Madcaps, Tazos, Chupa Caps, Poison Caps, by the end I had a huge box full of them, and I knew each and every one that I had because I spent so much time just sitting looking through them. I'd probably organize and display my Munchkin cards if I didn't play with them so much.

My biggest concern for this is that there's a lot of hatred for Munchkin among Internet Smarks (Hate to use a wrestling term, but I don't really know an eqivalent name for them, the types who consider themselves almost sage like, and above other gamers, Grognards doesn't really fit), who seem to scoff at Munchkin because it isn't sophisticated enough. Indeed, I have been looked at with a mix of pity and derision when I've talked about my love of Munchkin. I hope these people don't impact sales.

And thanks, Andrew, for the recommendations by the way. Mars Attacks is definitely a favourite franchise of mine and I was thinking of getting the dice game. I got a promo card in my last order from W23 too, so if I come across it I will pick it up.