View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Skarg

Default Re: Changing Option to Defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoofstone View Post
I've searched for an answer to this, but haven't come across anything which explains it, so apologies if I've missed an existing thread.

Moves:
Player 1 moves <1/2 MA, and chooses the option to attack player 2 (with whom he is now engaged).
Player 3 moves in and also engages player 1.

We now move on to the rest of the options:
Player 3 has highest DX, so gets to go first.
Player 3 attacks player 1. Player 1 was going to attack, but now regrets that, and wants to defend instead, but it's currently player 3 who us completing their option.

Now, this is where my question comes in.
The rules say that a when it comes to a player to take the rest of their option, they can change their mind within the restriction of options they are still able to complete.
However, in this instance, player 1 isn't having their option at this point in time; it is player 3 who is having their option.
So, can player 1 change their option, even though it is player 3 who is completing his option, or is he only able to do that once he get to completing his option (and therefore cannot defend against player 3)?
Yes, player 1 can Defend as a response to the changing circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Well for one thing, a figure can't normally defend against a jab, as it will not have been engaged at the time of its movement.
I disagree. A figure can Defend if they moved 1/2 MA or less, and it applies against 2-hex jabs, and so they can do so as a reaction to that happening if they have not used their action yet.

The original ~1980 rules in Wizard and Advanced Melee made this very specifically clear. Unfortunately those lines were trimmed out in the Legacy edition.

Last edited by Skarg; 05-18-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote