View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Mailanka

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Kiai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
If you have Trained By A Master or Weapon Master, you have much better options than Kiai to work with: any time you are using Kiai you are not using your TBAM-enhanced martial arts skills… it uses up an action, costs fatigue, makes a lot of noise (no stealthy stun), and is at a penalty for range (discouraging use of it at a distance), for an opposed roll that is not particularly reliable since Combat Reflexes blocks it so effectively (and most guys without Combat Reflexes have no business going up against guys with TBAM).
Combat Reflexes doesn't block it, just recovers from it. It's a good way for getting around someone's defenses if they haven't also blocked that particular vulnerability. That said, though, I largely agree with you. It's a pretty specialized tool, and while it can be useful in that little niche, for the same points, you could have more Power Blow or Mental Strength or Flying Leap. I rarely found someone who wanted Kiai-25, while the guy with Power Blow-25 was generally considered ridiculously cool.