Thread: Dodgin' Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #52
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dodgin' Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The penalties Dodge This assigns based on the speed of the projectile seem very small. An attack moving 2000 yards/second only give a -4 to dodge even though that is too fast for a human to be physically capable of moving out of the path of the bullet unless the attacker is very far away. Even an attack moving at light speed only gives a -12 penalty...

Also what is the reasoning behind only having a half as large penalty to dodging as the penalty for parrying or blocking? Dodging is generally easier than parrying, but it seems very strange for the difference to grow without bound with the speed of the attack. A constant difference seems like it would be more reasonable. Also is blocking with a shield really that much harder than dodging?
Your question actually inverts the causality here. The origin of the relationship for Skill, Parry/Block, and Dodge is based on how penalties to DX are reflected:

Skill - penalty to DX is 1:1 with skill
Block/Parry - penalty to DX is 1:2 with skill, because Parry/Block are half skill
Dodge - penalty is 1:4 with DX, because Speed = (DX+HT)/4, and Dodge is based on Move which is based on Speed.

That said, plenty of things are "penalizes all defenses." If you want to unify them all, use the penalties for Parry/Block for Dodge.

But that's why the penalty for Dodge is low - it's 1/4 of the skill penalty.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote