View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: [Spaceships] Missile shield vs. ramming: two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
The missile shield design switch from Spaceships 3 seems essential here, to stop large warships from being missile bait. But what about ramming? A couple things are unclear to me. First, if your RoF is higher than the number of ramming ships, do you get one hit per ramming ship, or one hit per point of RoF, which can be divided freely among attacking ships? I can't quite tell from the wording of the rule ("Beam weapons that are assigned to point defense may therefore automatically hit a number of incoming ballistic weapons (or ramming spacecraft) up to their maximum rate of fire.")
I would say one hit per ROF divided up however you want. But roll damage after assigning targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Second, would it be reasonable to use the "missile shield" rules not just for beams but also missiles?
Unless the incoming targets have ECM or are programed/guided to evade and they are far enough away I would say yes.
But there should probably be a minimum firing distance.
They key here though is t specifies beams, not guns as usable for the option. Presumably because the beams move so fast the missiles are effectively standing still. Point Defense missiles have terminal guidance so might be able to make up for that, especially if not dealing with ECM or evasive tactics.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote