View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
Mehmet
MIB

Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynGrey View Post
Hey, I know how you feel, i set a 30% of racial norm soft limit. With a good BACK story i'll allow an extra point or what not.

One gripe i have with GURPS, that Stat growth is completely linear, it takes just as much time to go from 9 to 10 as it does 13 to 14. Anybody that resistance train knows that it gets harder and harder to get gains the more stronger you get. So I allow a character to but (unusal background 10pts) for another 30% of racial norm increase to his stat. (25pts for the next 30%)

On a human its 3pts per point point of increase EXTRA, and it satisfies my need to right that linear porgression and give players an opportunities of increased ST.

I allow the 30% INCREASE to all the ST realated things.. lifting st, striking st.. what not.

Also on the other end of the scale of what Icelander said, ST isn't really the easiest thing to convert in real life. if you can say lift 500lbs in 4 seconds two handed doesn't mean you have 15 ST.. it could mean you have 14 ST with Lifting St...or 13 St with Lifting ST and the Lifting SKILL. or 12 St with lifting ST, the Lifting Skill, AND Using extra effort. There are ALOT of varibles with ST in game and out of game.
This approach would be unfair to normals. If, say, there is a racial template with +10 ST, they pay 100 CP for that in the package but they gain a lot more than a human; ability to raise their ST without price inflation for another 3 levels :)

The thing is, "hardness to increase" is something you as the GM should control but not by making it more expensive pointwise.

YMMV of course.

Cheers!