View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #23
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusDarkeyes View Post
(a) If race A had +1 ST, and race B had +1 DX and anyone wanted to have a character with at least 11 ST and DX, then the racial choice, in that one regard, didn't matter.
That's right, it doesn't. And so far as that goes, it probably shouldn't. For example, what if I want to play a high-DX character who doesn't share other characteristics of the resident high-DX race (frex, a mundane human swashbuckler who loves cities and doesn't share the elven love of nature or their magical aptitude)? Under this scheme, I'm being punished for that because I can't get the DX I need without taking on a raft of other characteristics I don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusDarkeyes View Post
(b) It seemed ridiculous to me that if I had a SUPER strong race with +40 ST that, without these limits, it was fine to have a character of that race with ST 10 anyway (-80% away from the racial norm). Likewise if I had a race whose average IQ was 6 (-4), one could make a character of that race with IQ 18 (+12=+200% here).
And, yes, that might be absurd, but you're talking about extreme cases here. Are you going to have a ST40 race and players who would want to buy it down to ST10? Or an IQ6 race and players who would want to buy it up to IQ18? Is this really a problem you expect to need to fix? This really looks like a solution in search of a problem, and something which could be dealt with by, y'know, actually talking to your players if it becomes an issue rather than proactively declaring global rules which potentially complicate everyone's character creation.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote