View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
Inquisitive Raven

Default Re: Updating/recreating GURPS Mage the Ascension to 4ed

I have my own approach to doing a 4th ed. conversion.

For one thing, everybody notices that Realms are functionally Spheres, but nobody seems to notice that Raw Magic (also in Thaumatology) is functionally a a GURPS translation of Quintessence (read the description of Quintessence in G:MtA, then read the description of Raw Magic in Thaumatology; also pay attention to the list of alternate names for Raw Magic).

If you take Spheres as being Realms and Sphere Magic is powered by Raw Magic instead of Mana, then Avatar becomes the Store Raw Magic Advantage and Arete is functionally Realms Magery with Arete 1 being Realms Magery 0 because the first level of a Realm/Sphere is sensing what the Realm/Sphere pertains to. At least that's the way I'm planning on handling it if I ever get my game going.

Unfortunately, my copy of Thaumatology is a dead trees version and I don't know where it is, so I'm relying heavily on memory and notes I've taken and I don't have any notes on Distortion Points. My vague recollection is that Distortion Points aren't actually that similar to Paradox (for one thing, there's no equivalent to Quiet) although they seem to serve a similar function.

I have played a lot using White Wolf rules, btw, so if anyone has any questions about that, I'm available to answer them.
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote