View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #53
Rick_Smith

Default Make heroes and wiz the same -- Or just a bit more equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
... I prefer the Wizards and Warriors to be differentiated in this way. It makes playing them different, and that's kind of important in my opinion; ...
Hi JLV, everyone.
As my post a while ago shows, heroes are hosed up and down the line. All the perks go to the wizards. Including the huge new one, experience can be spent to give the wizard extra fatigue in his or her staff. (Thus heroes stop improving at 40 attributes, but wizards keep getting better.)

However, I wouldn't mind some differences between heroes and wizards IF the heroes occasionally were thrown a bone. I think the following are important.

-- The -4 DX for a hero casting spells. If I pay triple memory to learn a spell, it is adding insult to injury to give this penalty as well.

-- Talents take multiple memory to learn, spells take 1 or few points. Wizards can fit 7 hex Fire, 3 hex Fire and 1 hex Fire into a single memory slot. But a hero who takes Naturalist and Expert Naturalist must use 5 slots. This should be 2. (Or zero. I didn't mind the earlier way of doing things where you could learn as many talents as you like, anywhere near as much as I dislike the current system where half of everything an IQ 10 guy can ever learn is spent on Expert Naturalist.)

-- Tough to learn talents cost x2 or x3 memory to learn. But tough to learn spells always cost x1. (The basis of this thread.) In my campaign, a number of spells I don't much like cost extra memory to learn and it works well enough to help discourage them. (And if a player pays the penalty, I feel that they have earned it.)

To summarize, currently all the nasty is served up to the Heroes. I am not asking that everything is made the same for both. I would like if a few things (listed above) are made easier for Heroes, ESPECIALLY reduced memory slots for talents.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote