View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #632
Atlus

Default Re: Member House Rules

My house rules are generally for Fantasy set only because I have every expansion and booster possible for it.
Here they are:

Race/Class at start:
The game starts with getting 4 from each deck but each player is allowed to randomly choose one card from a mixed up race pile and a class pile (including PF classes, not Conan's races though). Each pile has one blank in it too for just the chance of being screwed over. This is generally because the deck is just far too big for classes and races to show up often (the math made it about 8 or 9% of ever finding one at all per door).

Conan's Races:
After mixing them into Fantasy they are just to lackluster so they count as "nationality" cards not races so you can be an Stygian Elf Thief if you want without the need for a half-breed or equivalent card.

Faction/Nationality's at 5:
Since GUAL's are usually hoarded in my group to just appear weak early game I had to make incentive to level up so I made a faction and 'nationalilty' (conan races) pile that they are allowed to draw once card from either one to add to their own power.

Race/Class Enhancer at 8:
Same thing as the rest written above but these are one pile and only one can be drawn. This overall promotes leveling to get first picks of a random pile and to allow each class to be available from the start.

Side Deck:
Every single holiday booster (Christmas, Easter, and Halloween's doors and treasures) are put into their own side deck which sit next to Munchkinomicon and Fairy Dust and is known as the "Holiday Surprise Deck". Basically after 3 rounds (full rotations from the first players turn) everyone at the start of their turn gets to take the top card of that deck into their hand. It makes Santa's being used with each other much more common and allows for extra draws for card effects or the random treasure from time to time. It's thematic and cute so I tend to use it with my group.

No Take Back Rule:
If for any reason you put a card on the table purposely and it can't be used then it is discarded. If you try to do this to avoid giving cards to people when you are about to die then you take level loss and the cards are still passed around.

Cheating:
If anyone is ever caught cheating during the game, whether intentional or not, they lose levels. And it's worse each time caught. HOWEVER if you go through the entire game not getting caught then you get to gloat all you want if that's how you won.

Kneepads of Allure and The Magnificent Hat:
They get 3 counters each, after that it's used up until it's either drawn again from reshuffle or pulled from the discards.

Winning:
You CANNOT sneak a victory, you must declare it your winning level or not when it arises, and you must wait until each player admits defeat for the combat to resolve. This isn't very munchkiny but it does allow for some of the most intense stand off's in my gaming experiences.

Thief:
They must have levels to expend to steal or else they will need to discard twice as many cards to use it, they are also not allowed to steal successfully from the same person until it's the thief's next turn.

xxxx Already the Rule xxxx
Bard:
They cannot keep attempt to enthrall the same person twice in a turn if it failed the first time, they must choose a new target.

Pathfinder Classes and Fantasy Classes:
Necromancer and Wizards count as the other for items and combat.
Alchemist and Thief count as the other for items and combat.
Summoner and Bard count as the other for items and combat.
Witch and Cleric count as the other for items and combat.

xxxx The current ruling for the Card as of Munchkin 3 xxxx
Hirelings:
The normal Hireling card may use any item regardless of restrictions (aside from gender). Hirelings that are class specific or unique do not apply to this rule and must follow their own card rulings.

Dungeons:
After 3 full rounds from when a dungeon was opened it will close and another will be drawn. This will prevent people from keeping out the good dungeons all game. BUT a player may choose to discard 3 cards from their hand to keep a dungeon in play for another 3 full rounds too. Aside from that all other rulings for the dungeons are the same.

>>>>>>>>>>Epic Munchkin Rules<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Kicking down the Door:
You kick two down in the order they are drawn. So if a curse is drawn first it hits then the next card happens automatically. Enhancers that are kicked down with monsters APPLY to the monster kicked down.

Monster Treasure/Levels:
Both the treasure and level amount given for any combat are halved and rounded up. Enhancers and other cards that add/remove treasures take effect after the halving.

Ex: Winning vs Plutonium Dragon gives 1 level and 3 treasures, but if he had a +5 enhancer he gives 4 treasures instead.
Ex: Winning vs Potted Plant and Plutonium Dragon gives 3 levels and 6 treasures normally but would give 2 levels and 3 treasures now.
This was put in place because Epic Munchkins was mainly a race to level 10, once you got there you had double the treasure and levels available to you depending on the draw, so any player not epic could be left behind if the epic players began to snowball.

Monster Combat Strength:
Monsters 1-9, in Epic get a natural +10 bonus.
Monsters 10-20, in Epic get a natural +5 bonus.
Monsters fought initially alone against the munchkin (one monster kicked down not two or when a fight is picked from the hand) it gets double the above bonuses. HOWEVER if the fight is initially two monsters this doesn't apply or if the fight changes from a single monster fight to multiple, the initial monster bonus isn't changed.

Ex: Potted Plant is kicked down with a race card, Potted Plant is level 1 with a +20 bonus. Someone decides to WM in a monster, PP is still combat strength of 21 but now including the new monster and its bonuses.

This sounds complicated but each fight is now truly epic, it originally was double the monster level but some players would get full itemization while others didn't so hitting epic ended up killing some while others steamrolled through. So after a lot of theorycrafting on the right bonus per monster I cam up with the above numbers (which are still pretty clean and easy to remember).

GUAL cards and selling:
They can be used from 1-9, and 11-17. From 17 to 18 you must also be won with a combat.

Losing Epicness:
If someone were to make you lose your epicness (go back down to 9), you can choose to level up anyway you want from 9 to 10 after that (Eg selling, GUAL, combat, etc). This ruling was made because people could be forced to stay at 9 through Curses and rude munchkin players who are epic and drawing more to force them to lose combats repeatedly until they are too far out of the game to recover. This just makes the game less fun without in place if you have players who know how capitalize on major turning points in the game.

Helping:
There is absolutely no helping allowed to people at 17 or higher unless cards would otherwise change that and must be legal for standard 9 to 10 victories.
Epic players cannot help other epic players for any reason until all players have attained this status.
Epic players cannot get Fairy Dust cards for helping non-Epic players win combats (debatable but it has been argued by my group before).

Last thoughts:
Generally my Epic Munchkin games include the house rules I mentioned for my standard Fantasy Munchkin game too. This adds to the immersion of the game while making Epic Munchkin more competitive for my group instead of the rules given. We still have the epic bonuses from each class/race/faction/etc as well but that is one of the few unchanged rules from the original epic rulings.
Bites 1 & 2
Zombies 1-3
Cthulu 1-4
Impossible
Legends
Pathfinder
Conan
Apocalypse
Space 1 &2
The Good/The Bad 1 & 2

Last edited by Atlus; 01-21-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Changed Bard note and Hireling note
Atlus is offline   Reply With Quote