View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #28
MechDrek

Default Re: Time to train a cavalry mount . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
What does it say about training remounts? How long does it take for a trained riding horse to be acclimatised to battlefield conditions and familiar with drill?
Unfortunately the book does only deal with the stuff of immediate use to the reservist and much is taken for granted. And of course I can't use the index properly as I don't know the military terms. Also, there are 7 pages missing - those dealing with travelling.

I've always wanted to know more about cavalry training so I have ordered a book with the title "Anleitung zur Ausbildung der Cavallerie-Remonten" which should cover this exhaustively. This will take several weeks. I've also ordered the Cavalry Field Manual of 1890. I hope this one has all the pages. As soon as I know more I will post it. But it seems like the US was held in high esteem when it came to cavalry training as even the ultra-conservative Austrian Ulans sent one of their trainers to the US and the Germans tried to copy the uni-color squadron of the 7th US Squad.

So the US should be pretty much state of the art in the late 19th, early 20th century cavalry training.

P.S.: I found a lecture on cavalry training. There the lecturer states that 3 year old colts were used. I am no horseman so my vocabulary is limited.

Training began in September.

September: accustoming the horse to the rider
October: Tact, "relinquishedness" (sorry, I am at a loss what "Losgelassenheit" means. Something like "less restraint")
November-February: More stuff I can only translate directly. Something with more "uprightness, dependence, and permeability" (Verbesserung der Anlehnung, des Geraderichtens und der Durchlässigkeit)
March-September: Accustoming the horse to military noises
October-December: Elan and collection
January-March: further training of collection
April: Horse is "mustered", at the beginning young horsed don't participate in bigger exercises

Last edited by MechDrek; 07-21-2008 at 10:11 AM.
MechDrek is offline   Reply With Quote