View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #21
robertsconley

Default Re: Horses, encumbrance and travelling speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Icelander's right. Historically there was no such thing as a knight with a budget. If you didn't meet minimum wealth requirements then you couldn't be a knight. Its as simple as that. GURPS will let you get around that with things such as Signiature Gear. I like Shawn's suggestions and also encourage him to expand this thread into an e23 publication.
I disagree there were Knights supported solely by their liege in a manner similar to a man-at-arms. Status was important as it gave access but Status do not equate to wealth in a medieval society.

The classic example is of a younger son, noble born, but no inheritance. That son would be forced to seek service with another lord relying on that lord for all his support. All he would have to offer is his skill at arms. Of course that lord would have to be wealthy enough to support multiple knights on what Harnmanor calls his household budget.

That unlanded Knight through war, rebellion, luck, or good service could wind up with a manor of his own. His arms and his horse likely be given as a gift by his liege along with the manor.

Now I am not saying this is typically but it wasn't rare either. And as the Middle Ages edged to the renaissance it became commoner and commoner as paid mercenary service becomes the norm instead of the feudal levy.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote