View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Skarg

Default Re: Suggestion for wording of Physicker talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I think the intent of the RAW in both TFT and GURPS is close enough to clear that we can surmise the idea was to have treatment apply once per encounter/event rather than once per wound. No arguments are presented to explain why, but I can imagine 3: limiting the possible rate of healing; avoiding the added complexity of tracking individual wounds; and perhaps a kind of 'realism' argument that what is being treated is systemic shock response rather than stitching cuts, binding fractures, etc.

I disagree with this approach and prefer to permit first aid or Physicker abilities apply per wound. But I don't object to the published game, and everyone else on earth, going a different way. House rules of this sort are so simple to define and implement that they are not worth debating.
Yeah, I agree.

I think the intent as written in the GURPS Basic Set and probably TFT is "per combat".

However, I think the intent is based on a desire to avoid perceived complexity, even though I know from doing it per-wound that it's not complex to me at all.

Since my starting point comes from being 11 years old, and having other kids about that age agree that it would just be ridiculous to be able to heal wounds one at a time but only if you don't get two wounds in a row, it's hard for me not to be surprised that several obviously very smart and experienced gamers would be so resistant to the idea.

And yeah, no doubt there will continue to be people playing both ways, and other ways, regardless of whatever the published version is. And that's fine and has always been how RPGs are played.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote