View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Luther
Grim Reaper

Default Re: Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

Oh My Good Lord, No!

Kromm hypothizes Low-Tech will be replaced by Fantasy-Tech (or something like that). I can't hide my disappointment, and I must contribute to spread my little word.

I was so eagerly waiting Low-Tech, it's about research and accuracy. Now I'm scared as hell. What's Fantasy-Tech? How can you prevent it being a mess, with all kinds of (weird, fantasy) ideas mixed together: mithril? It's sooooo setting dependent!

I don't want 100 pages of material I'm not going to use. And I don't want the book to turn into a fantasy gear collection -- tied to very specific, arbitrary assumptions. I want solid information on economy, agriculture, society and technology. Also mixing real world and fantasy will inevitably change the tone of the book, sort of D&Desque compendium -- with virtually no hope to get armors made right.

You say there is not enough material?

You can add Pyramid articles (Matt Riggsby and Mortimer wrote a lot of good articles) and material from the historical (TL0-3) sourcebooks; review, revise and update them to fourth edition. There are plenty of good informations about society, technology and human sciences in the following:
  • GURPS Egypt
  • GURPS Greece
  • GURPS Imperial Rome
  • GURPS Celtic Myth
  • GURPS Middle Ages
  • GURPS Arabian Nights
  • GURPS Camelot
  • GURPS Robin Hood
  • GURPS Ice Age
  • GURPS Japan
  • GURPS Russia
  • GURPS Vikings

Also you can include a Mass Combat system for archaic warfare.

Please give GURPS Low-Tech the treatment it deserves. Please.

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization

Last edited by Luther; 02-20-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote