View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
platimus

Default Re: Aimed Shots, Crippling Hits, and Dagger Marksmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The main issue with the random Crippling Hits (like entangling peculiar weapons) is that their mechanics take NOTHING into account but the attack dice roll. It doesn't matter what the weapon is, or what the target is. It could be a greatsword hitting a house cat, or a glass bottle hitting a 14-hex dragon - the odds of completely crippling the target or knocking it unconscious are the same.

The nice thing about the double & triple damage results is that they give some hope to attacks which have little/no chance without them, but are still based on the usual effects of the attacking weapon and target's armor and ST.

Now, I do find it interesting that those rules do add some chance of an unexpected and unique outcome (a knockout, or a temporarily crippled limb that may not have really taken any damage), but the complete lack of correlation is a problem, especially because it's a fairly high chance and means a barrage of many super-low adjDX thrown rocks is fairly likely to cripple any target.

So for me, an improvement would involve taking into account the attacker's skill and weapon, and the defender's ST and armor.
Yes, some of those are reasons why I will not make Crippling Hits available to players but may make secret GM rolls when I feel the results would make sense to the situation or story.