View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Skarg

Default Re: Aimed Shots, Crippling Hits, and Dagger Marksmanship

We used all the targeting rules for some years. I think they do all work ok, until/unless you start to push the limits (e.g. high adjDX).

Yes, it would be nice to condense them and make them more consistent. However, they do seem to be different at least partly for reasons (e.g. entangling a body part with a whip, lasso, or bolas _should_ be different from hitting it with a weapon), though I think they could all stand improvement, specifically:

* The peculiar weapons need a defender saving throw and/or limits, because otherwise the whip, lasso, bola or net have the same chance of taking down an unarmored child looking the wrong way as they do the most formidable foe you can imagine, and that chance can be quite high.

* The critical hit effects should take into account the target's armor, at least, otherwise the risk of being crippled by anything is constant.

* The aimed shots also tend to be pretty deadly if you can get enough adjDX, and there are still ways to get very high adjDX (talents, Aid spells, enchantments). Again I'd prefer a target saving throw to reduce the feeling of helplessness.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote