View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #40
Rasputin

Default Re: [IW] Non-Nazi Germany-Dominant World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Not really. Here's Martin Luther's recommendations on how to treat the Jews
But he wasn't unique to Germany, either. Outside of the Ottoman Empire, which is not coincidentally the one non-Christian nation in Europe at the time, you have loads and loads of folks with this sentiment, even in religiously-tolerant Poland. Luther is notable only that he was famous, and had held the opposite position early in his career.

I don't think, in the end, that the targets were that important to the decision to kill 'em all, but the desire to kill 'em all. The interviews in Nuremberg Diaries reveal a lot of folks who weren't prejudiced against Jews but were perfectly willing to go along with the idea to kill them in the name of insane progress. Given the decision by even the Wehrmacht, which was comparatively sane next to the rest of the government, to gleefully embrace the plan to liquidate all 4 million residents of greater Leningrad, and the 43,000 executions in Germany in 1943 (that is, they were given a trial, with lawyers and judges, and I guarantee you they weren't Jews or Poles), I can't imagine killing all the Jews sating the desire of the Nazis to kill.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote