View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Modular Powers: a flexible powers/magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Yep, in my blog post, I talk about how the costs come out to almost be the same with that weird little Unusual Background cost thrown in there. That's how I knew that my pricing was quite fair. The reason I didn't go that route, however, is that I want a system that accepts modifiers. I mean, you could also just say that you have Flight [40] and Wildcard Power Pool 40 [80], and then slap modifiers onto the Wildcard Power Pool, but that felt less legal to me. Though, I suppose, if I wanted to go even simpler, that works too.
Less legal, sure, but in this situation you are more accurately making a new advantage that happens to line up close to MA enough to follow most its rules. But it isn't one because its actually a non-leveled advantage broken into a leveled one (For instance, you could make Voice a leveled trait by cutting the cost and effects in half so each level is a +1). One really nice thing about building it this way is you don't have to worry about adding Physical or Social to it, and unlike real MA, you only have to spend 1 turn to switch abilities, not 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
The only thing is that Limited Scope, Mental powers only, -20% will never bring it down to the price of the unmodified Modular Abilities, but I am a-okay with that. A small price to pay for salvation.
I don't think that's an issue. In fact, I dislike how MA isn't priced to include everything and has limitations to bring it down to certain categories instead.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote