View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
flankspeed

Default Re: Effects of alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
This seems like a really nicely rounded set of rules, that take any for of revelry into account -I'll certainly be printing these off and keeping them with my official rules. :)
Thank you very much for the positive feedback! I did borrow ideas from other posters here, so I am indebted to them for inspiration. I merely tried to bring it all together and propose a way to make every drink count while including game mechanics for extra strong drinks, spiked drinks, vomiting, hangovers, and addiction.

Flavor is added by saying -1 DX/-1 IQ is just being tipsy, while increasing levels of intoxication begin to make a person unsteady on their feet if they move too far too quickly. In other words, they can stagger a short distance, but push it too far and they risk face planting on the floor.

Hangovers are reflected in that a person who fails five saves and passes out might wake up after 8 hours (perhaps partly forced unconsciousness and partly trying to sleep it off) and still be at -3 DX/-3 IQ. They have a doozy of a hangover that will slowly wear off every four hours of the next day.

If they are desperate to succeed in some dextrous task the next day, such as working a job or fighting a duel, they may be tempted to try folk remedies to cure a hangover. It’s up to the GM to rule how well those work. Trying the “hair of the dog that bit you” would only help if you rolled a critical success against a drink strength of 3D6 or higher, which would reduce DX/IQ penalties by +1. Of course, if you fail such a strong intoxication roll, you’re getting tipsy again and only making things worse!

I’m glad you like the rules and will find them useful. Enjoy responsibly! Or not, hehe.

Last edited by flankspeed; 08-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote