View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Mind Control and Body Control Spells vs Elder Things in DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards gives immunity only to Metabolic threats. It's right there in the name.
Okay, so what are Metabolic Hazards? Well, the definition of Metabolic Hazards is "all threats that only affect the living."

You keep saying that I'm reaching outside the rules and my position isn't supported by the rules, but I'm reading the rules very literally here. A Metabolic Hazard is a threat that only affects the living (B81). A Body Control spell is a threat that only affects living beings (B35).

Orcs have Resistant to Metabolic Hazards +3. Should an orc get an bonus to resist a Nauseate or Retch spell? Yes, that would be consistent with the definitions of Body Control spells and Metabolic Hazards, and it would make sense to me that orcs, already resistant to most things that cause Nausea and Retching, are not going to succumb to magically induced Nausea as easily as a puny human.

Should an orc be resistant to Fumble? That's a harder question, but the prerequisite chain for Fumble includes Spasm, and Spasm is described as targeting the subject's voluntary muscles. That sounds like a Metabolic Hazard to me (induced acute hypocalcemia?) so I suspect Fumble is more of the same.

Or not. But if you're going to continue to argue against my position, a quote or two from the actual rules would be appreciated.