View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
Bloodshadows

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

For years, I played Gurps 3e but eventually went on to other systems just to see what was out there. I've been pretty heavily into Savage Worlds over the past few years in both official and fan capacity. In SW, even the game's creators tell you: Don't stat up NPCs/monsters like you would a PC. Just give them what they need and run with it.

The idea is to give GMs more time to create great stories instead of getting bogged down with the details of statting up every character/thing in the world.

Having recently returned to Gurps, I find myself sticking to that mentality. It's fun to stat up characters and experiment with new builds- if I have the time. Generally, I don't have that free time available to me. Given the choice, I will always go with setting, plot and personality over exact point totals.

The players won't know if the spy they just snuffed was someone with an equal or greater CP total than theirs or if he had a couple of skills at high level. That's not what is important to my group. What's important is that everyone has fun.

Now, recurring bad guys... those I'll usually stat up so I can make sure things don't fluctuate from game to game. But for the most part, making it up as I go works just fine.