View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Plane

Default Re: Mixing kinds of Magic

I like the idea of mixing Threshold magic with FP magic, but think the 50-point advantage for getting both sources is sort of prohibitive to low-level casters, so like the ideas more of a setting feature.

I like the idea of synergistic spell interaction, which Ritual Magery (you buy up college skills basic on thaumatology, spells become techniques defaulting to that, instead of skills) most closely resembles...

The only thing I wish there was was that building prereqs mattered more to the ones later down the chain. In normal Magery magic, prereqs are just to get access to the later ones but then you can abandon building them... and in Ritual Magery it's just the prereq count which matters... but you can then pump points into the high-level spell techniques and not buy up the lower level ones.

I wonder if maybe there was some kind of cap like you can't have a spell at a higher proficiency than any of its prereqs to emphasize building lower-level spell techniques up?

That would make it more expensive both for normal magic or using the Ritual Magic system to get high-tier spells at high proficiency, and also not have weirdness like a fireball tossing mage who only knows the basics of Create Fire or Shape Fire.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote