View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Working Stiffs or: How Much Should Professional Adventurer's Realistically Make?

You know... I've never run or played a game where the motivation for adventuring was money or personal gain. I know they exist and I have nothing against them. I think an "adventurers for hire" or "professional occult investigations for a reasonable fee" campaign would be fun. I've just never encountered one. Usually, the stakes are about something more.

How much would you charge to save someone's life? Nothing, I sincerely hope!

What about a hundred lives? Or a thousand? What if some of those lives were people you loved?

You mention Indiana Jones--he's a tenured professor. He doesn't need the money, and he doesn't expect to get paid by the museum (maybe the university will, it's not very clear). He's in it for the knowledge at first, and later to keep immense power out of Nazi hands.

The material rewards for Geralt also tend to take a back seat to fighting evil and, occasionally, doing the right thing. Certainly with his skill set he could make more money doing something else.

Even when I've played Dungeon Fantasy games (in various systems), where there's always the expectation of treasure and monetary reward, there've been character motivations beyond money.

TL/DR: I'd like to think that a hero will be appropriately rewarded, but in fiction and games, usually the hero risks his life for reasons other than money.
How much would I charge to save the world? Well, if it has to be, I guess I'll do it for free. But I'd appreciate whatever I can get.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote