View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Role of archers in low-tech parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
However, that is the military viewpoint. From the viewpoint of typical RPG "parties" (a mix of commando, bravo, and bandit), the archer is for ambushes, for having a response to inaccessible enemy missile fire, and attrition of known enemies who start out far away.
What about poison delivery? I don't really believe in Hollywood-style instant-death poisons, but even on a 1-second combat Round scale, there might well be poisons that significantly nerfs the target's ability to move, fight, defend, or think clearly and make reasonable tactical decisions.

And yes, I was surprised to be reminded, in this thread, that in GURPS bodkin arrows have a (2) armour DR divisor.

Bodkin arrows should be better against armour than regular arrows, of course, but it reminds me of the coarse-grainedness of the system.

(Not that making a good weapon-penetration-versus-armour model is easy. The one I use in Sagatafl is better than the one GURPS uses, but works only for medieval weapons (it works for modern weapons/armours the same way AD&D works for roleplaying gaming, one might say), and I haven't yet come up with a different model that feels at all good when used for firearms versus balistic vests.)
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote