View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #22
adm

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy(DF) and regular GURPS 4/e questions (Yrth too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Guess I'm just used to having a lot more background detail before starting a game session.

In the past the default assumption is that every so-called 'one-shot' game session might lead to a campaign. With a campaign my most loyal one or two players like to have maps and interesting cultural details.

Does this mean I should give up on running DF and run typical GURPS 4/e instead?
- Ed C.
You can have a setting background, or not; like most AD&D inspired fantasy games. Banestorm, as written with its assumptions about magic and religion does not make a good fit, but that can be changed. I used Yrth, but changed when the Banestorm event happened by backing it up to roughly 200 AD. In my setting Megalos is smaller, Roman, instead of Byzantine, and still using non-hereditary Emperors, and the Senate still has real power. Local god like entities jumped all over the mishmash of religions available at this time, and pagan religions are an on going item, you do have Jews and Christians, but no Islam. Al-Haz and Al-Wazirf don't exist and are occupied by the various horse lords from Central Asia.

-OR-

Quote:
Just go ahead and run one or two DF sessions and not stress out about background universe details?
- Ed C.
If this doesn't work for you, will it not create more stress?

Quote:
I did make the investment by buying the box set and the GM screen package. Should at least try to put it to use.

- Ed C.
Of course, use the background that you and your players are comfortable with, I've always liked Greyhawk, and it WILL make a fairly good quick fit.