View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #25
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [High-Tech] Reflex Sight + Scope: "can be used, but not with magnifying scopes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I know the popular image of snipers shining their red dots on a target is a thing, but I do not have knowledge to say whether they're based on reality. If not, then that may be an error. However, if this popular image is based on real life, then some sort of benefit looks more plausible.

Anyone else with more knowledge/experience in the matter willing to chime in?
I VERY much suspect this is a theatrical conceit, much like holding a pistol by your face (which keeps the gun in the camera frame, but is otherwise pretty poor weapon handling for many reasons).

A laser dot on a chest is visceral for the audience. Unless there's dust in the air, it WON'T be visceral for the target unless they catch sight of the beam.

With a rifle, especially a scoped one, the laser dot is actually not helpful in increasing Accuracy. The laser is straight, but the bullet arcs. There are dots and stuff on proper scopes that help you adjust for such that are going to be more precise than a laser, especially as the beam spreads and diffuses at range.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote