View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [High-Tech] Reflex Sight + Scope: "can be used, but not with magnifying scopes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd probably just let 'em stack: You always get the +1 to Guns skill because magnified or not, you can see the dot and you keep both eyes open; aim and you get another +1 for the magnifying scope (just so it does something).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Magnification (Acc bonus) and improved target acquistion (red dot and open eyes for +1 to Guns) are mutually exclusive. Once the magnifier is put in place, the combination works as a scope, more or less (at least enough for game purposes), with the red dot taking the place of the crosshairs or whatever in a conventional scope. In other words, either +X Acc or +1 Guns, never both at the same time.

Cheers

HANS
What are the arguments for picking this or that interpretation?
To me it seems like the biggest thing that could be an argument in favour of non-stacking is if there's some fundamental difference between looking through a scope and seeing the 'real' dot vs. looking through a magnifier and seeing a reflex dot. But it's quite possible that I'm misunderstanding what other difference are involved. (I tried shooting with iron sights and practicing in 'dry' mode with a targeting LASER, but not with a real scope nor a real collimator.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
I have already mentioned it: the fact that you can keep both eyes open with a red dot. This vastly improves sight acquisition and situational awareness. This is the underlying reason for the +1 to Guns. As soon as you add magnification, you get tunnel vision and can only sight with the one eye to the tube. This allows you to take advantage of the magnification, but robs you of the fast acquisition.

Cheers

HANS
But that seems to be something universal for all magnifiers, yet seeing a real (LASER) dot through a scope (with magnification) stacks. I'm trying to understand why tunnel vision is a problem for reflex dots but not for real dots.