View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
Varyon

Default Re: Need advice designing a fair ultra tech gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I forgot to say that the armor was flexible, sorry it was late last night and I was writing a 4 page research paper for school hahaha.
So, 30/15*, with DR 30 against piercing-class and cutting damage and DR 15 against everything else, right?

Quote:
As for it being designed to fragment, I was thinking more along the lines of someone tried to Jerry rig it do do more damage myself.
You'd more likely be jury-rigging the weapon than the projectiles, but I suspect either is possible. What sort of DR do the monsters have? If they don't have much, fragmentation makes sense. If they do, it doesn't, not really.

Quote:
That's almost the exact specs I made except I had the damage at 3d(2) imp to show that it could pierce into rock easily. Rof 1, Rec 1, Range 380/1000, weight about 4 lbs or so, cost would be relativly cheap for he gun. The bullets I had as some 4$ or so a piece, since they didn't move as fast or deal as muc damage as a regular round would. Why should they cost more than multi spec homing rounds?
For some reason I was thinking the micromissile price was for any Gyroc round that wasn't just a solid bullet. With that in mind, $7.50 makes more sense - it's still going to cost more than a normal bullet (it's a lot fancier, particularly with the ability to be remote detonated).

Quote:
I was thinking that the rounds they were made to use were the hemp rounds, that way it would drive a nice hole into rock to open up for mining rounds. Buy they were modified to deal more AOE damage. At least that's what I want.
HEMP already do exceptional AOE damage - the fragmentation is what matters, not the crushing explosion (which, as I noted above, is basically null by moving only a few yards away). Of course, the original rounds would be, if anything, HEAT, which you might be well served in making them HEMP later. I'd suggest against that, however - a single 15mm HEAT/HEMP - with 30d of penetration - is going to tear through nearly anything short of a tank, meaning the nifty effect of being able to pump a target full of spikes and blow it up is pretty well meaningless.

Quote:
The critters themselves are undead and don't have any vitals, so they won't really pop like overripe cherries, but more than anything I would like the explosion to be more powerful, but with a shorter range. I have no idea if gurps can even do that much less if one should. But as for the fragmentation I was thinking maybe the Shrapnal bits could be made of superfine or hyper dense material, both of which would increase the useability of the weapon. And it would fit with the storyline.
First off, the x3 damage for internal explosions doesn't require the target to have Vitals to come into play (the reference to Vitals is more just to note "Hey, this has the same damage multiplier, ain't that keen?"). If you want a powerful "explosion" with a short range, throw realism out the window (and/or invoke superscience) to have an effect with a proper area of effect, where it does full damage within a given range, no damage outside of this (or even do it in tiers if you'd like).

As for the fragmentation, you might be able to justify an armor divisor on the fragments from hyperdense materials. Most of those get an armor divisor of (5), although with how haphazard shrapnel is going to be, I'd be tempted to drop that to (2) or (3).

Quote:
With the fragmentation at an armor divisor (is that even a thing?) the radius would be shorter but it still would be threatening to be in the blast.iif I can't do do that, than I was also thinking double knock back or something to show that it was a large force that would at least knock groups of enemies over so they can buy themselves some breathing room. Unfortrtunatly the enemies have about 16hp on average. And usually around14 or so str. So the boom needs to be very big to knock them over if DBKB isn't used...
Double knockback is extremely appropriate for cinematic explosions. Heck, quadruple knockback wouldn't be out of the question.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote