Thread: FnordCon Update
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #19
TheAmishStig

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
1. That's an unrealistic and unreasonable expectation. If the classic game sells well enough to justify reprints, we'll do what we can. Expecting us to keep items in print that do not sell well enough to cover the expense is an expectation that we cannot meet.
It sounds like we're on the cusp of another "We're on the same page but in different paragraphs, leaving just enough wiggle room for a frustrating disconnect" moment...would rather nip that in the bud if I can, I still feel bad about last time re: the contents of the starter set. 'You must do print runs even if the sales aren't there' isn't what I was getting at...that is, as you said, unrealistic and unreasonable, and I know better than to try and do that to you.

What I was trying to say was a more tongue-in-cheek version of "I sincerely doubt you'd do such a thing, but please don't openly forsake those who don't make the jump; that way lies a bunch of outrage that benefits nobody".

Not reprinting if the sales aren't there to justify one is one thing, doing things like pulling the PDFs off W23 for no reason beyond 'these are for the old edition' is another. Given how hard SJG is working to get the GURPS archives into PDF and PoD I don't think that'll even be considered let alone acted on, but felt it worth noting as something that'd get under my skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
That was never the attitude of the companies behind BattleTech and MWDA. I know it's the common perception, but classic BattleTech only had about six months between the last FASA book and the first FanPro products. (FanPro actually had books in stores before MWDA hit shelves!) Indeed, MechWarrior: Dark Age served as the gateway to the older system for a great number of people, bringing new blood to the classic game.

For SJ Games, the matter is perhaps simpler. Unlike the dog's breakfast that is BattleTech's IP rights, all things Car Wars reside with one company. If a game sells well, it will continue to be supported. If it fails to garner attention and market share, it will - regretfully - be discontinued. It would be awesome if people so love CW6 that they buy up copies of the classic version; as we see with GURPS, Dungeon Fantasy, and The Fantasy Trip, SJ Games is not afraid to support multiple games in the same genre (or even system) at once.

Edit: It took me a while to formulate this post. I see Phil beat me to it.
I'm not proud of being able to say this...no, that doesn't go far enough, I'm ashamed...but I do distinctly remember fiery outrage in response to a statement along those lines, because I took part in such outrage. Now I'm pushing 40 instead of pushing 21, and thinking 'Man, I was a dumb (fnord) back then, wasn't I...'...but it's one of those things that remains forever seared into a brain cell or three.

By having that 'inside looking out' perspective, you make a good point...it's not a good idea to consider the rat's nest that is BT production a monoculture. Thinking about it, dwelling on the situation and what I've learned in the decade and a half since...I know, without hesitation, that Jordan wouldn't do that to us. From the rare times I've been able to chat with him, he's one of the rare people I'd put on par with Steve when it comes to "genuinely good dude". I'm also confident in the passion of...crud, what was his name. One of the few who still has a MWDA bible, I spent about 3 days trading messages with him on Reddit.

If I had to guess, that statement would have come from Topps...Catalyst made it sound like getting the Shadowrun license was an exercise in pulling teeth Really dwelling on it, as well as dinner conversation with SJG's Eric saturday, I'm left wondering if it was an 'inside looking out' vs 'outside looking in' issue where they couldn't legally acknowledge it while hammering out the licensing specifics.

Never would have guessed that an intended-to-be-cheeky "I remember this outrage, please don't repeat those mistakes" would lead to this much introspection. Thanks, Roland...I'm glad you couldn't bring yourself to stay away.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote