Thread: FnordCon Update
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
TheAmishStig

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Seems like 6e will be a nice "complementary" game along with Classic...I can't see it as a replacement, but I'll certainly give it a fair shot.
Glad to hear you'll give it a chance...the biggest obstacle CW6 faces is the potential for guys to dig their heels in and not give it a far shake on grounds of "newer is always worse" or "Yeah, we heard this before with CW5".

I'll continue to support CWC in my convention rotation because there are a couple old-school diehards who seek me out year in and year out...but when it comes to personal opinion, it's CW6 that will be on my table at home (and at my FLGS) with CWC coming out for special occasions, not the other way around. Getting to play it for myself and realizing that 2 days later I'm still excited for it has sold me on the idea that they're really onto something here, and I'm curious to see what improvements get made before launch.

I almost never get to play CWC anyway because my friends and family have neither the time nor the patience for it, and the typical attendee at my regular conventions walk up with starry eyes, ask 'Oooh, what's that?', see the charts/tables/record sheets/etc, go 'Eww, nevermind', and walk away.

Caveat: given my experience with ClickyTech, I'd be furious if CW6 hits stores and CWC was pulled from distribution the next day, doubly so if it comes with an attitude of "What CWC? CW6 is, has always been, and will always be Car Wars"...but I'd like to believe Phil is smart enough to know how bad of an idea that is. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Sounds good thanks for the comments everyone :)

Question:

What exactly are the miniature packs?

How do miniature packs fit with vehicle design rules?

Does this mean that each vehicle will be unique (thus requiring the miniature pack) but also have limited 'modibility' (vehicle design rules)?
Phil beat me to it with the packs, and way more succinctly than the 3-ish paragraphs I had here.

On the subject of Vehicle Design: It's a simple affair, but that doesn't mean it's shallow...just that you no longer need to do algebra / rely on third-party aids like the Combat Garage. For a Division X game, you get X points to spend on Car Parts cards...guns, equipment, upgrades, etc. There are also Crew cards with a separate 'Crew Point' pool, but I didn't think to ask Randy/Jimmy about how that (or armor points) work outside the controlled circumstances we were in.

We weren't allowed to build cars at Fnordcon unless the whole table already had one game under its belt, but even with that I can confidently say the biggest problem you'll run into is indecision.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote