View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #96
patchwork

Default Re: [GAME] Conceive a Cross Dimensional Fantasy Milieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

huh. I'm not sure how that fits with everything. Which God died to make the river of seasons, or was that just moved? Are there only 18 god-killing civilizations? I suppose it explains why these civilizations keep falling.
How the Hoggans manipulated the River of Seasons (and why it wasn't a permanent change, and what else the River of Seasons does) could definitely be a question of its own. I expected the advent of the Imperials and their original homeworld would remain a setting handwave, though. You can't go home again. And only 13; the first 4 ages were the gods themselves using cosmi as melee weapons, and the fifth was the migration of the behemophaunts. I imagined the gradual failure of the portal networks to be a natural process as the multiverse heals itself, but I can see how that seems insufficient and there's probably more to the story. Killing a god more than once every few centuries, in my opinion, devalues the word 'god' into meaninglessness. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
picking it back up again, that's a serious growth curve! watch where you swing that thing!

If a mother and father have 4 surviving children between the ages of 20 and 40 (averaging 30), over the course of 200 years you'll get a x100 increase, which only gives us 3 million imperials (which is a low number for "millions") and 7 full strength archmages.
I had something rather more grand in mind >.> one can take 200 years as having only one significant digit, say it's actually 240, and that gives you two more generations of doubling. And at least for the first two generations, I expected you need 6 surviving children per couple, not 4. It can be explained by the advent of a calledronite-rich environment causing growth and health in humans (frequent multiple births?) just as it does plants, at least until they become adjusted and adapted to it. Or you can accept but gloss over the idea that when they first arrived, certain atrocities were committed against the tribal people already on the skull.

My backwards-math is as follows: the Imperials control Calledron, which at a glance seems comparable to South America. They have roughly five similar spaces elsewhere, so let's fudge and say they rule one earth-size of territory. At "fantasy" population densities, that's about 200 million subjects. About half of them are Imperials. a steady curve from 30,000 to 100 million in 200 years requires...the sharp growth curve we're contemplating. Any of my geographic or demographic assumptions could be challenged, of course, but I'm curious which ones you think should be changed.

Last edited by patchwork; 06-27-2019 at 12:44 PM.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote