View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Oh, this reminds me of another thought I had, something along the lines of a Vitality Reserve, an extra pool of "green chips". This would certainly be more valuable than simply Extra FP, which would be distributed 1/1/2 into the green/yellow/red piles. Maybe Extra FP (Cosmic, +50%)? Or should they just boost their total FP by 4 if they want the +1 mild fatigue? Hmm... I suppose it could be something like Extra FP 4 (Mild only, -X%), but that's getting kinda wonky.
I like the "+50% to +100% Cosmic" option, because it breaks a rule and removes the opportunity cost for using a particular resource. If FP are currently 3 points/level, 5 points for extra "mild" FP has a nice round ring to it. :-)

In fact, adding particular FP to any given "color" pool is an interesting option. Since when you burn your last "red" chip, you start taking extra damage, maximum penalties, etc, having a bit more grit before you drop would be kinda neat. Of course, you're at -100% to ST before then, so some amount of tweaking to other parts might be required. :-)

Quote:
How so? In a sense, using the AP rules gives another thing that FP may need to be spent on (Second Wind to recover 50% AP). Or is the intent that many things which currently drain FP will switch to AP instead?
I was a bit imprecise. If you're mainly going through life spending AP in combat, due to spells, extra effort, etc, then taking a few hours to recover FP, but still being able to cast a spell or whatever after sufficient rest, which might be seconds to minutes, depending on your FP status and resultant HT penalty, wouldn't be too bad.

So if you're depending only on FP to power those things, yes, you probably have increased their value, as well as the power of things that drain them.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote