View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Determining the Qualities of Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Neat. I'll keep an eye on it if I need deeper details, but so far I'm happy with what I'm getting out of Space. Well, mostly - I'd really like a way to determine the heliopause (but after trying to look it up, I get the feeling we don't actually have any idea of where the heliopause is for any star other than Sol), e).
<shrug> The distance to the heliopause should be similar for stars with solar wind activity similar to Sol in areas of space similar to the "Local Bubble" where interstellar space is thin but energetic.

A G0 probably has at least a little more acivity than a G2 though I know of no one who has collected data on this. It' hard for me to say evven in theory what having your star in a colder but thicker interstellar medium might do. My intuition gives a 60/40 chances that it might push the heliopause farther out.

Combine that witht he bigger star and the heliopause might be a long way out though you have to go about 100 ly before you're out of the bubble.

I'm not even sure what the "official" distance for our heliopause is. There ahve been announcemnts that the Voyager probes have crossed the heliopause 3 or 4 times in my lifetime.

It's definitely a long way out. If it was 80 AU that'd be about a month at 1G and turnover velocity would be enormous. WMD issues are a definite thing and a drive that can do it makes STL interstellar flight pretty reasonable.