View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #66
weby

Default Re: Some anti-materiel rifles I'm considering for the guards on Jewell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What did you pay for the rifle?
I cannot remember exactly as it is more than 10 years ago and I bought a few accessories like the Sako bipod(pretty expensive but good) and at the same time. I think it was a total of about 4000 euros with the tax(22%) at time.

After inflation I would expect it thus to be about $/€ 4000 without tax, but cannot say.

Quote:
The GM has clarified that there are three 'special' rifles meant for defence against any attack on the island.* These rifles don't all have to be the same model or even the same caliber.

Anti-materiel performance is key for what the guards bought the rifles for, but that's not to say that a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle might not be better than a .50 BMG for certain things; like shots at a fast-moving helicopter and/or a counter-sharpshooter role.

I think that two .50 BMG rifles and one .338 Lapua Magnum rifle might be a nice complement.
Could likely be a good mix then, yes.

Quote:
Upon a review of the tactical realities on Jewell Island, the GM indicated that a lighter semi-automatic rifle in a flat-shooting caliber might also have been bought by the guards. I'm also looking for ideas for a rifle platform (and accessories) for rapid fire against potentially fast-moving targets, in extreme cases at up to 1,300 yds, with the primary emphasis on performance at 400-800 yds.
The 400-800 yard range rapid fire requirement is really best filled by a different rifle than the longer one. Even a good quality AR15 based rifle with heavy barrel and a scope works well for the up to 800 yard range, though it is definitely not flat firing at those ranges.

But if your primary targets will be helicopters or speed boats then a .308 Winchester is a more likely choice.

(or in case of your story, maybe they have just a bunch of old M14s that were also "accidentally" left there and then the best of those have then been worked on by a gunsmith... )