View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Energy Accumulation Realm Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm rather dubious about this. Given that casting is slow anyway, making it slower may not disadvantage users much. For example, if I have level 2 in a realm and want to fo a single-realm working as if I had level 3, my cost appears to be 3 x 2 x 2 = 12.

I have seen a GM allow players to exceed their Realm level by accepting penalties to target numbers, and it amounted in practice to giving every magician +1 to all Realms.
Thank you for the feedback. I would note that the base energy cost is increased by the ritual parameters before doubling. For example, if someone possessed the first level of a Realm within a six level Realm division, they could accept energy cost doubling to allow them to access the second level of a Realm, which would allow them to do damage to a target within the purview of the Realm.

Let us say that they wanted to deal 3d damage to a target one mile away with a ritual. The base cost would be '4' for the Realm, plus '8' for the ritual parameter cost for 3d damage and '2' for the ritual parameter cost for one mile of distance, for a final cost of '14'. Since they are exceeding their Realm level though, their final cost is doubled and their modified final cost would be '28', meaning that they would need a minimum Realm Skill of 23 to even attempt the working. Of course, a practitioner with Magery 2 would reduce the base cost to '0' and would reduce the final modified cost to '20', so someone with Magery 2 could get attempt the ritual with only a Realm Skill of 15.

In consideration though, I do agree that the original rules were a bit generous. I think that when practitioners exceed their Realm level in Energy Accumulation Realm Magic, failures on energy accumulation rolls should count as critical failures. On natural critical failures, practitioners should roll twice on the critical failure table and apply both results. In any case, practitioners should only exceed their Realm level in emergencies, as any practitioner that makes a habit of it will not be long for the world.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 07-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote