View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #247
Rasputin

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Thats probably the best case for artwork I've seen. I dont mind good art, and I often appreciate it. I just am very unlikely to buy a book based on art.
In the specific case of monsters, having artwork helps even the GM get a handle on the monster. The boxed set was really bad in this regard. Among the artwork in the original Monsters were red dragons, giant rats, a giant spider, scorpion swarms, and a zombie, which are the exact kind of monsters I advocated above in no small part because we do not need artwork to understand what they are. By contrast, original monsters like ciuala, eyes of death, frost snakes, ice wyrms, mindwarpers, and void brutes which are not obvious from a name and a very short description absolutely need artwork, all of which were missing it in Monsters. It not only looks nice, but it's handy for actually understanding what the monster does. Which is why I'm happy that the new book has artwork for all the monsters.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote