View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think refining, shaping and sorting are the big undercurrents of early effects.
You can seek, analyze, purify and separate components for raw materials or use then shape and refine or manipulate for a tremendous impact ob the overall economy. Most of those spells wont be terribly dramatic or obviously useful to adventurers, especially in combat but if widespread enough could support alternative tech levels.
Yeah.

Quote:
With a smaller base individuals could have Higher TL and demand higher prices for specialized goods made by them or under their supervision.
That's not a bad idea. Masters who can do the "impossible" is great for hooks and for worldbuilding.

Quote:
Wood can help craft quality bows and arrows in shorter time by seasoning, shaping,and even lamination processes.
Or make bigger/stronger bows by shaping woods that normally wouldn't work for stuff like that. (I'm thinking ironwood.)

Quote:
Earth can build structures as if they had access to modern machines, improve mining techniques.
The mining techniques is the most interesting part here. Of course, folks are going to make fortications using earth mages - that's the most logical use. But also houses and other buildings I'd think. Building foundations would last forever.

Quote:
Water can clean up polluted water, make aqueducts and plumbing easier and improve personal and community hygiene.
Aqueducts! I hadn't considered that. Plumbing is neat too. Maybe enchanted pipes or something.

Quote:
Fire can burn hotter without needing special fuel, be focused as in a blowtorch, heat things more evenly, provide cold lights.
"Witchlights" are going to be a thing in the campaign, basically heatless fire via the Phantom Flame spell.

Quote:
Air makes great climate control, either large scale with weather spells or smaller such as air conditioning and chasing away flying insects. Also useful for tracking scents or distributing them.
Good point.

Quote:
Metal can shape and refine, eve merge for alloys to create stronger materials, or lighter as needed. Cool things (unless your using that for fire but I usually read metal as cold and ice related) and harden things at the risk of making them more brittle (So Metal adds DR and if over a certain %increase adds Brittle, while Wood would add HP or IT:DR and at a certain point possibly Homogenous)
Cold is the lack of heat so that falls under fire.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote