View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
PseudoFenton

Default Re: [DF/Lite] Working up a very simple fantasy (newbie GM)

Well it looks like most of your questions are already dealt with.

On the note of magic - with any luck we'll be getting the RPM magic book soon, which might be an good alternative to remodelling the existing Magic system (take it from me, rebuilding that sucker is a task and a half... I'm still not finished).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
English is there as the exact same thing as Fantasy Common, just going by its actual name rather than pretending to be something else.
This isn't strictly true, and I don't use it this way in my DF (or at least Fantasy) game. Common is a good pidgin dialect that smooshes a lot of different languages together, and is a derivative of human (because they're the main city builders and merchants of the world) - but it is not just a renamed English.

A well trained linguist can actually tell where you're from by what style of Common you speak, for instance - as you'll use words from different local races and slang terms that relate to those areas. As such, if two people who both speak 'common' are from very different places in the world, they may even find it quite difficult to find the overlap or 'common words' that they share in order to communicate (although common does involve a lot of hand gestures and speaking loudly, which as we all know, is a universal mean of communication). This is why I always grant large reaction bonuses to anyone who speaks to another in their native tongue. Although there are a number of racial languages that have differing accents, slang, and words thanks to regional differences - so the reaction levels can vary depending on how close to their version you speak.

The point I'm making here, is that some people do care about how languages work in their world. Other's don't however, and much like religion, science fiction elements (lasers and spaceships) and accurate physics (think of the catgirls) there are a number of players who dislike some real-world details invading their fantasy world settings. So do take the time to find out how your players feel about these issues before steaming ahead with them.