View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [DF/Lite] Working up a very simple fantasy (newbie GM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you mean Dungeon Fantasy, the series, or just the dungeon crawl genre?
It being the dungeon crawl genre is the main thing, but what rule details I have from the series come across as very useful, it's just that it has lots of things in it I don't really want. I have printed copies of DF 1, 2, and 3 and a friend bought me Loadouts for Christmas.

Quote:
Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen is one of my favorite GURPS books. It contains templates for low-powered delvers.

I'd suggest sticking with it's suggested point value of 125/-50/-5.
It came down to a toss-up between asking for that one or Loadouts. Maybe I made the wrong choice there.

150/-25/-5 yields approximately the same power level of characters, but with less crippling. I was considering -30 because that allows both "Vow: No Armor" and "Vow: No Weapons" on the same character simultaneously and figured that was about the extent of restrictions I was willing to deal with.

Quote:
Again, no need to reinvent the wheel. I'd just use the list of suitable disadvantages found in Adventurers.
Or a severely truncated list culled from it, by deciding what's really not appropriate based on my perceptions of how gameable it is. That list does have a couple magical traits and such I might have been overlooking.

Quote:
I like your idea of a simple template, but you've blown Lite so far out of the water that I'd just stop considering it. I wouldn't use it anyway, but that's because I don't like GURPS Lite at all.
Lite is the only book I could reliably get to my players; Lite and Loadouts are the only ones I actually own instead of borrowing from other GURPS players I know. Not like anything on my current template isn't already in there.

Quote:
Again, though, this has all been done for you, and done very well. Henchman is great and it's a perfect fit for what you're doing.
Kinda makes me wish I had more money to spend on my hobbies/methods of purchasing things over the Internet.

Quote:
Now I'm really out. I like to keep reality as far from my fantasy as possible.
Fantasy religions always strain my ability to enjoy a work, as do real-world religions aside from Christianity. English is there as the exact same thing as Fantasy Common, just going by its actual name rather than pretending to be something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
I like the idea, but if you have access to the Basic Set, I would say to write up your own list of valid skills, advantages, disadvantages and spells - and maybe weapons and armor - go beyond Lite in terms of that sort of material, but be prepared to use Lite for most of the actual mechanics of the game. That would make for a "slightly-less-lite" of your own, fine tuned to the mechanics you're intending.
I think I can go with that, just handing out Lite to demonstrate the mechanics work but giving my own lists for what traits there are and cliff's notes versions of their effects possibly. I have access to Basic, Magic, DF 1-3, and Thaumatology for myself as GM usually but my potential players would be over Skype.

I think I'll work on my weapon table tonight; for armor I'd just go with the ones in Lite up to Plate Armor. (Huzzah for non-piecemeal!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
If you can stomach it, and if the power level will give you remotely the kinds of abilities you want, Powers: Divine Favor is a great little add-on for your clerics. It gives them abilities without the flavor of magic, more like the supplication to the god or gods that you're likely after.
I've heard about this a few times too. It's something to consider if I can get ahold of it.

Perhaps I should make separate threads asking for help with specific things like exotic weapons I've come up with, suggestions for the races, and so on. (I have an old long-dead thread I was working on for the spells; gonna pick up where I left off on choosing which from there).