View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Thomas

Default Re: Consequences for helper if main player escapes before die roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
...My first instinct, however, is that if the main combatant bails using some card to instantly get out of the combat, the combat is over and the helper is stuck with taking a hit per Monster and having to Run Away unless the card used to get the main combatant away says something else.
If the helper is truly at risk of "taking a hit per Monster and having to Run Away", shouldn't they at least have the opportunity to resolve the battle? Perhaps they could actually win on their own. It seems reasonable that they should at least get the chance of trying -- if indeed they are at risk of the negative consequences. This would seem to be doubly true if it can be shown that the combat is not considered to be "over".

(Also, even if it were determined that they couldn't technically ask for a "helper" of their own (something that is murky), it still might be that they could agree to reward someone who intervenes in the combat in favor of the helper (e.g. with one-shots). So there could be some possibility of help in that way.)

About the central question, I did just discover something in the rules tonight (p. 8):

Quote:
"Where'd Those Monsters Go?
If all the monsters, or all the munchkins, are removed from the room, the combat is over. All 'usable once only' cards are returned are returned to their owners. All monster enhancer cards stay with the monster they were played on."
To first clarify one point, when it says "all the munchkins" I would suppose that means all the munchkins actually participating in the combat, correct? [Suppose munchkin A is in a room, and monster M moves in when it is not A's turn. No combat (yet). Then munchkin B enters on B's turn and starts a combat. B might not ask for help, or might get munchkin C from the next room as a helper, but in either of those cases, munchkin A is just a bystander, and not involved in the fight, correct?]

It would seem that the clear implication of that paragraph from p. 8 is that if not all of the munchkins have been removed from the room (and not all the monsters), then the combat is not over.

Since the combat is not over, then I would suppose that the helper needs to try to do as best they can, possibly with the benefit of any helpful intervention that comes their way. If they lose, they lose as usual, but they should at least be able to try I would think.

And if they win, I would suppose that they get the levels and treasure that normally apply. They earned it.

Doesn't that make sense?

Last edited by Thomas; 07-06-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: adjust italics