View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Encouraging different attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Combat Openings

. . . The torso can't be a target of opportunity – if you roll 9-10, roll 1d on the following table instead.
Not that I don't like the 1-6 table, but why can't the torso be a target of opportunity? I've definitely seen someone, for example, raise or lower their guard as part of their shifty-stance thing and expose their belly. Or pick up an elbow to expose the hips or ribs. I might allow a few of the options to favor, for example, low-line or high-line attacks, or gut punches, etc.

I do like the table, and one nice thing about it is that something similar, or even a choice of somethings similar, to build your own personal table. Every fighter might have a set of things he does, by habit, that leave openings. Boxers, for example, might populate the table with a bunch of stuff that says "I'm basically blind to grapples and kicks." Sport martial artists where you get many points for kicking, have to knock someone's block off with a punch to the body to get points, and forbid grapples would have another set.

This concept is really neat, and with the right computerized help, would slow play down not even a little bit.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote