View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #696
David Johansen

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

They're helpful of course but I think a pre packaged setting and game book is a better bet. I just think the ones SJG have done would probably sold more copies if they'd been generic ones. I'm just not sure Hellboy or Vorkosigian are popular enough in the gaming community to increase interest in GURPS.

I suspect Disc World is a little too silly to be the GURPS makes a comeback book. There's an age where kids want to be taken seriously and it intersects with the age at which they try gaming for the first time. But then again when I drop my kid off at high school I see lots of girls wearing pyjama pants and animal hats so maybe self consciousness is dead. If SJG print it I'll carry it and try to put the novels right on the shelf next to it. It's amazing how ignorant people can be of any media that isn't a top rated television show or a blockbuster movie.

I tend towards the lower priced point of entry because people have real mental break points at twenty, fifty, and one hundred dollars and it's a lot easier to get someone to drop a twenty on a whim. That and kids have limited funds and we need to be recruiting kids if we want to have a future.

Palladium's still around after all these years for a reason. Their games are a decently priced, single volume entry point with decent to great art and they've never feared to sell the awesome over the sensible.

There is the big box of toys approach to starter sets and it works well for board games and Warhammer. I'm not sure what a GURPS big box would look like. Lots of cardboard fold up scenery, maps, and a build your miniature system maybe. Anyone wanna invest a million dollars to promote GURPS? It would be AWESOME!

Last edited by David Johansen; 12-01-2015 at 05:43 PM.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote